The BREWIN Family

'Sir Anthony Richard Wagner, Garter Principal King of Arms, wrote that "a Yeoman would not normally have less than 100 acres" (40 hectares) "and in social status is one step down from the Landed Gentry, but above, say, a husbandman. " '
Sources seem to agree that the Brewins originated in Leicestershire, or at least their family seat was there.
One-Name Studies secretary, Richard Brewin related that:
"Centuries earlier they had flourished in their beloved Leicestershire and in London, claiming descent from the ancient Counts of Lusignan with their Crusader and older traditions. Fletcher's Leicestershire Pedigrees  and Royal Descents' refers to an old verbal claim of descent from Sir Guy de Bruyn, a Norman Knight. Certainly a number ofthe Plantagenet descendents married into the Brewins. The Brewins of Leicestershire included Robert, early 19th.Century radical Mayor of Leicester about 1838 and prosperous worsted spinner (Corporation of Leicester 1689-1836 R.W.Grea Other Brewins with the same ancestry were Quakers and one visited the West Indies to report on the ill-treatment of natives Another Leicestershire Brewin married Sarah Lloyd (niece of the founder of the Bank) at a Quaker ceremony in Birmingham in 1788. Felix McCarthy, the unsuccessful radical parliamentary candidate for Leicester in 1802 was proposed by 'Mr.Brewin, a Tanner'( The Times, 8July 1802). Many of the Brewins were Liberals in politics and non-conformist in religion. The cross moline has featured prominently in their coats of arms.
[The Robert Brewin mentioned here lived at Birstall Hall. He was a p]rominent Leicester industrialist. Mayor of Leicester, reforming politician, introduced universal elementary schooling to Leicester.]

  Francis Brewin of Leicester (1771-1849. He was a wealthy industrialist in Leicester, running a tannery.


Another source (American commercial site) states that:
"The surname Brewen was first found in Leicestershire where they held a seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman conquest. The name was originally Bregwin, pronounced Brewin.
W. G. Hoskins, the noted Leicester historian, who did in-depth research of Wigston Magna, stated that 'Brewin' was a new name to the village in the 16th century, arriving there after 1560. Anthonie Brewen was reputedly born in 1579 but it is not known where. Information on the family is sketchy, but Anthonie  must have been a respectable citizen in order to marry into the land-holding Pawley family.
 Documents held in LRO show that later:
 [no title]  2D31/62  12 April 1647 [23 Chas. I] Contents:
Bargain and sale from William Wilde of Cossington, yeoman and William Brewin of Belgrave, Yeoman & son in law to John Beeby of Leicester , Gent., of 1 messuage with appurt[ances]s. Gough close nr. the church contg. ½ acre, Sheepcoate close of 1 acre, Eggs close (1 acre), Ryefield close (3 acres), 2 yardlands of arable etc. in Cossington with reversion, rights, deeds etc, to hold of chief lord of fee etc.
Consideration of £430
Signed Will. Wylde & Willm Brewerne
Sealed & delivered, with memo of attainment of tenants.
  English yeoman, 16/17th century

And:
 Lease  DG24/191  9 March 1676/7 . Seal.  Contents:
Parties:- (i) John Brewin of Gt. Wigston, butcher.
(ii) Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow, bt.
The said John Brewin grants unto the said Sir Thomas Halford several pieces or parcels of arable, meadow and pasture land containing ½ yardland situate in Kilby in the occupation of Richard Craxall and James Henchman. To Hold the same for a year for the purpose of a release.
Also in that year:
Thomas Goddard, senior, of Cosby, yeoman, bound to John Brewin of Wigston Magna, butcher in sum of £280 to observe conditions of deed of same date.

A Bond, in 1690:
Includes Richard Bruin and Peter Ragg for the observance of orders and by-laws drawn up for the regulation of the common fields in 1679.

In 1701:
  Bond  DG24/386  1 May 1701  Contents:
Richard Brewin of Wigston Magna, yeoman, bound to John Pochin, senior, of Wigston Magna in sum of £40 to observe conditions of deed of same date.
In 1712, we find the Brewins engaged again in dealings with land:
Lease and Release  DG24/392-393  8/9 April 1712  Contents:
(i) John Brewin the elder of Great Wigston, butcher, and Mary his wife.
(ii) Richard Brewin of Great Wigston, yeoman, and Peter Ragg of Great Wigston, yeoman.
Release to ii on marriage between John and Mary Brewin of ½ yd. land in Great Wigston Fields to use of i.
By 1727 John Brewen was styled 'yeoman'. 7 years later:
[no title]  DE1982/58  Holy Trinity, 9 Geo.II [1735]  Contents:
Final Concord
John Reeve, Joseph Reeve, Thomas Astill and Deborah his wife and Thomas Brewin and Hannah his wife deforcants
to John Carter and Robert Cooke plaintiffs:
messuage and 25a.[acres] of land in Groby and Great Wigston.

Anthonie and Elizabeth had the following children:
i.    JOHN BREWIN, b. 1606, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire. [Johannes Bruen, son of Antoni Bruen]
ii.   ROBERT BREWIN, b. 1607, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire.
iii.    ELIZABETH BREWIN, b. 1608, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire;  married PETER RAGG, b. Abt. 1608, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire.
iv.    JOHN BREWIN, b. 1611, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire. He married Mary Jackson; they baptised a son, Edward, at Wigston in 1637.
  v.    KATHERINE BREWIN, bapt. 14th March 1612, [New Style, 1613] Wigston Magna, Leicestershire;  married THOMAS RICHARDSON, son of Iszack and Whinifrit Richarson, b. Abt. 1613, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire. They married 21st November 1636
 vi.    RICHARD BREWIN, b. 1614, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire.
vii.    RAFE BREWIN, b. 1616, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire.
viii.    DANIEL BREWIN, b. 1619, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire.
  ix.    ANN BREWIN, b. 1621, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire.
   x.    MARY BREWIN, b. 1626, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire.
Transcription of Anthony Brewin's Will
Text: Anno Domini 1626 One January
In Dei Nomine Amen I Anthony Brewin of Wigston Magna in the County of Leics husbandman being sicke of body but of perfect memory thanks be to God doe make this my last will and testament in manner and form followinge
Inprimis I bequeath my soule into the hands of Almighty God my Creator and Redeemer and my body to be buried in the Church yard of All Saints. Afterwards I give and bequeath my goods as followeth - viz -
I give to my second sonne John Brewin tenn pounds after he shall come to the age of twentie four years
Item I give to my third sonne Richard five pounds to be paid when he shall come to the age of twentie four years
Item I give to my forth sonne Ralph Brewin five pounds to be paid when he shall come to the age of twentie four years
Item I give to my eldest daugher Elizabeth eight pounds to be pd at the age of twentie four years except her mother plese to bestow it sooner.
Item I give and bequeath to my second daughter Catherine five pounds to be payd at the age of twentie four years
Item I give to my third daughter Anne Brewin five pounds to be pd at the age of twentie four years
Item I give to my youngest daughter Mary five pounds to be pd at the age of twentie foure years
It is my will so that if it pass my wife shall have conceived and bringe other sonne or daughter that a portion of four pounds shall be provided in forty shillings by the executrix and forty by .................(illegible)
And if it pass any of my children die before they come at age...........(illegible)
Item I give and bequeath to my eldest sonne Robert Brewin all this my estate viz my house land together with halfe the horses and beastes (exceptinge sheepe) plowes axes geeres and such thinges thereto belonginge To be entered uppon by him the said Robert my eldest sonne not until tenn years after my decease for my will is that all these tenn years after my decease his mother my wife shall have and enjoy all the sayd house land horses beastes and all other thinges whatsoever towards the bringinge upp of all the rest of my children And that he shall make do with nothinge save half that he gets by his trade and five pounds out of the parts of his two youngest sisters Ann and Mary until they come to the age of twentie four years
Item my will is that my sonne Robert ( when he comes to enjoy his livinge wholly to himself save his mother?s third) shall pay two years after to his brothers and sisters accordinge to their senioritie and age four pounds a peece begininge with the eldest first and so from yeare to yeare pay four pounds till he hath pd each of them four pounds accordinge to my will - viz - Twentie Eight pounds in the whole - Item my will be that if my eldest sonne die then before he come to age or enjoy his land or die without havinge that then my second sonne John Brewin shall enjoy it or his heirs and for want of John of the second to the third
Item I give to the poore twentie pence.
Item my will is that my sonne Robert shall take his brother Ralph where he shall be able to be an apprentice for Seven yeares and learne him his trade of his owne cost and charges save that he shall have his worke for his pay. Lastly I will that those parts which are to be pd to my children shall remayne in my wifes hands to bee at her discretion until my sonne Robert shall come to his livinge and be able to work with his mother for her bettership All my goods and Chattells moovable and unmoovable as sheepe and other thinges not before specified I give and bequeathe to my wife Elizabeth Brewin (my debts and my funerall expenses discharged) whome I constitute and ordaine to be the only executrix of this my last will and testament I also appoint my Cousin John Brewin of Stretton Parva and my brother Richard Brewin of Brouton Astley as apprisers of this my last will and Testament In witness whereof I have sett my hand and seale the day and yeare above written
In the presence of these witnesses
John Brewin Anthony A Brewin
his marke
Richard R Brewin & seale
his marke

Robert Brewin, Anthonie and Elizabeth's son, married MARY CLARKE at Wigston Magna circa 1631. She was born in 1610. William Clerke appears on the Wigston Lay Subsidy of 1524/5.; in 1749 John Clarke was styled 'Gentleman'. Robert and Mary had 8 children:
  i.    JOHN BREWIN, b. Abt. 1633, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire, England.
 ii.    CHRISTOPHER BREWIN, b. Abt. 1635, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire, England.
 iii.    RICHARD BREWIN, b. Abt. 1637, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire, England.  Baptism: 19 Sep 1637, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire, England
 iv.    ELIZABETH BREWIN, b. Abt. 1639, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire, England.  Baptism: 03 Nov 1839, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire, England
v.    ROBERT BREWIN, b. Abt. 1641, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire, England;  died 16 Sep 1693, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire, England.
vi.    MARY BREWIN, b. Abt. 1643, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire, England;  died 01 Apr 1727, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire, England.
vii.    SARAH BREWIN, b. Abt. 1646, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire, England.
 viii.    ESTHER BREWIN, b. Abt. 1649, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire, England.
ROBERT BREWIN, the 4th son of Robert and Mary also married a MARY, but her surname is unknown.  She was born about 1645. They had the following children:
 i.    ROBERT BREWIN, b. Abt. 1670, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire; d. Jun 1749
 ii.    MARY BREWIN, b. Abt. 1672,  bapt. 9th May, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire, England.
 iii.    ALICE BREWIN, b. 1674, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire, England.
iv.    SARAH BREWIN, b. Abt. 1678, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire.  Baptism: 01 Feb 1678, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire.
v.    ESTHER BREWIN, b. Abt. 1682, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire.  Baptism: 01 May 1682, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire.
 vi.    JOHN BREWIN, b. Abt. 1687, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire.  Baptism: 17 Jul 1687, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire,
 vii.    ELIZABETH BREWEN, b. 1677, Wigston Magna, Leicestershire; d. 1714.

The Brewins had variable fortunes in the 19th century; the Census records some as framework knitters or working in the boot and shoe industry, while one member, John Brewin, was a glove manufacturer in 1861, and James Brewin owned  a hosiery manufactory, both at at Wigston. The latter employed 14 men, 6 boys and 5 women in 1871.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The GILLAM Pioneers

The Pawley Family